You know.....maybe you can relate to this....but sometimes I almost feel silly about how girly my taste is. I have this inner struggle when I'm working on projects. My head tells me to try something different, try and make something that also appeals to a man once in a while. But honestly, I just can't!! Every time I try to deviate from my 'signature style'.....I end up having to start over.
So, this little dresser had such a little boy feel to it and my inner girly girl just wouldn't have it. I practically had to perform an exorcism!
I recently painted a beautiful Chippendale style bench, (a tremendous amount of work) only to have the paint fail to adhere. I can literally scratch it off with my fingernail and that was NOT one of my many HAPPY accidents. Normally I only lightly sand my projects. But I was so paranoid I'd have the same problem with this antique, I ended up stripping it down to the bare wood. Of course, as is typical, I failed to take a before picture. But here it is after it was stripped. I added the little embellishment on the back.
and primed, ah better already....
So here are the steps I took:
- it was stripped to the bare wood
- an embellishment was attached to the back apron
- it was primed and the entire thing painted in white
- the drawers only were painted with a soft blue over the white
- the entire piece was sanded with my amazing new Makita palm sander. Man I love that thing!!!
- white washed over the entire piece with Miss Mustard Seeds Ironstone Milk paint
- dry brushed the drawers only with a mix of Miss Mustard Seeds French Enamel and Kitchen Scale
- distressed the last coats with a damp rag (you can do that with milk paint and it distresses to reveal the previous layers, it's an awesome product)
- transferred the Paris address using the wax paper transfer method
- washed the original hardware and sprayed them with metallic silver, then sanded so just a bit of the brass shows thru
- clear coated the entire project two coats
- buffed it down to a soft sheen with fine steel wool
put it all back together!
WOW WOW WOW!!!
That was a lot of work!!!
The little end table can be seen here (also SOLD)
I'm partying at:
The Graphics Fairy - Brag Monday
Centrepiece Wednesday at the Style Sisters